WELCOME TO MY HEAD

Here it is....for the world to see....
Please read, and tell your friends...
AND FOR THE LOVE OF GOD COMMENT!!!!

Quote of the....well....however long it takes for me to get a new one.

"You don't miss your water
Till your well runs dry."
-The Black Crowes

Wednesday, July 2, 2008

OK? not OK? I dunno

So I had a bit of a freak out last week.  Mini freak out.  I should say.  After I got the "You may need $10,000 to fix your car" news, and all of the realizations about C were kind of hitting me at the same time I was just overloaded.  I went for a walk at about 10PM.  I had to get out of my apartment.  My roommate is driving me absolutely NUTS (Side Note:  He really is a douche.  I didn't realize how much before because I spent a lot of time with my ex and he wasn't around.  Now he follows me everywhere.  Also, he sucks to live with.  In the two years we've lived together he has cleaned the bathroom once, never cleans anything else, complains constantly about anything and everything, and has a penchant for leaving rotting food in my kitchen sink.  I'm not a neat freak by any means, but come on.)  After I walked around for a bit I went to the bar across the street from my house because I still wasn't prepared to deal with him or being in my apartment.

Yes, I went to a bar alone.  And drank and watched the baseball game.  I found myself next to a pretty blonde girl, though honestly if she hadn't spoken to me I wouldn't have noticed.  I was just completely consumed by all of the bullshit surrounding my life at the time.

She is Russian.  Not of Russian descent, but from Russia, here for the summer.  She has a great Russian accent which, I have to be honest, I love.  So she says a few things, I am polite but by no means trying to be a charmer in any way.  Again, my head was full of thoughts like "Where the fuck am I gonna get $10,000?" and "Why is this girl playing me?  I didn't do anything to her and I REALLY thought she liked me."

So after a little while I apologize to her and tell her I'm really having an awful day and that I'm sorry if I seem like a jerk.  She apologizes for bothering me.  I assure her that she was no bother at all and that it was nice to talk to someone.  About 15 minutes later I stood up to leave.  I thought, eh what the hell, pulled out a business card, wrote my cell number on the back and walked back over to her.  I handed her my card and said "I'm sorry I was such a downer tonight, but if you ever want to meet up for a drink or something my number is on the back.  Have a great night."

Now, normally I'm not the type who hands out my phone number.  To me it's a bit taboo for me to expect a girl to call me.  If I don't get their number, thats it.  No dice.  But I was in such a shitty mood I really just didn't care.  She called me Monday night and asked if I wanted to see a movie.  Random, but not unwelcome. (Full Disclosure:  Apparently I have a thing for Eastern European/Russian girls.  My last girlfriend was Ukrainian and Bulgarian.  Not of descent, actually from there, though she moved here when she was 12 and had no accent.  You really would have thought she was American at first glance, and in fact I did the first time I met her.)

We went to the movies and saw "The Happening."  Not my favorite movie, but I've seen worse.  We walked home to Brighton, though I offered to get us a cab.  It was good because we got to talk.  Turns out she is 20.  Yeah.  I met a 20 year old in a bar.

That night we kissed at her door.  I'm supposed to meet her tonight because this is the last night I will be in town for at least the next week and a half (Yeah, remember business travel?  Spending next week in Baltimore...and possibly the week after.  Great for my social life, let me tell ya.) In the meantime I've asked a few people about the slight moral dilemma I'm having here.  Is it ok for me to be hanging out with a 20 year old?  I mean, my mom is 5 years younger than my dad, but they didn't meet when she was 20.  I've gotten conflicting answers.  My guy friends are all giving me the "Yeah man!  Good for you!" while my friend Becky was like "Eee...that is a little young."

I'm literally on the fence.  I don't know.  I mean, it's not like she looks like she is 13 or something, and she acts more mature than C (perhaps because she doesn't have the option of going to a club and acting like a 17 year old) so there's that.

Comments on this would be much appreciated.  I know it's too late to do anything about tonight, but I'm really curious how the world at large feels about this.

Here is another question:  What the hell do I do with a 20 year old?  I haven't been under 21 in almost 5 years now and my social/dating life has revolved around going out to bars or pool halls.  I don't remember what I did when I was 20.  Well, I guess I do, but that was get drunk in my apartment with 30 of my closest friends.  House party seems like it should be out of the question at this point.  I'm too old for that shit.

Anyway, thanks for reading and commenting.  If I don't blog before I hope everyone has a happy, fun and safe 4th.

(Aside, voiceinmyhead, if you're reading, just a quick follow up to your last comment.  The thing is I'm not an option.  And it's her fault.  I would have had no problem dealing with just being the dude on the weekends or every once in a while, but I'm not dealing with anyone who doesn't return phone calls or do what she says she's gonna do.  Perhaps she's had guys who would deal with this shit before, but she's lost me.  Is that a thought that goes through her head or does she not even care?  Also, I had no idea word verification was even on.  Once I figure out how, I'm turning it off.

Also, Penelope, I guess for now I'm off internet dating...though who knows what the future may hold.)

5 comments:

~*~Snappz~*~ said...

Yo, Grandpa! Congrats on pulling a younger chick!

*lol*

In all seriousness, who cares if she's younger? If you like her, like hanging out with her, have fun and laugh, then who cares how old she is? Age aint nothing but a number. It doesnt mean that much.

voiceinmyhead said...

yep...i'm heeeeeeeere!


good for you. you deserve better.
and i say go for it (whatever "it" is)with the 20 year old...

Anonymous said...

I met my hubby...wait for it....I was 17 and he was......25. Age is nothing but a number. I am now 25 and him 34 - been married almost 6 years - together a total of 8.

Have a good time in Baltimore - go to the Inner Harbor if you get a chance. We love to go there, it's only about an hour from us.

Have a great holiday weekend

Anonymous said...

Okay, you ready? I'm here to comment. :) No surprise, eh?

20 isn't a bad age. I can see why Becky would say it's a bit young because of the maturity thing, but I would think (she being from a different country visiting our country on her own) has a great level of maturity for interaction. (Did that make sense?)
I actually think the fact that she can't drink is a great thing for you. You get the opportunity to date her without alcohol getting in the way. Take her to an art show, museum, festival, something that makes you get to know her. You'll learn what she likes and doesn't. You'll find her personality in interacting with others. Plus, what do you have to loose? You're traveling (which means email or phone calls will come into play) and that could be a great gift.

I think you really have nothing to loose here. Jump out there and try the friendship out. If it develops into what you’re looking for, take the next step.

Susie said...

Hmmm I'm actually having the opposite problem. Just met a 35-year-old (he looks 27!!) and from what I can tell, everything about him is great, except 35 just seems sooo ridiculously old to me.

I really don't think 20 is too young, as long as she seems mature to you (at least she's not a teenager anymore). I would just be careful knowing that she hasn't experienced a lot and may have a lot left to do before settling down or anything. I know I changed a HUGE amount from the time I was 20 to now and am much more mature/better person. But for now I say, have fun!!