WELCOME TO MY HEAD

Here it is....for the world to see....
Please read, and tell your friends...
AND FOR THE LOVE OF GOD COMMENT!!!!

Quote of the....well....however long it takes for me to get a new one.

"You don't miss your water
Till your well runs dry."
-The Black Crowes

Monday, September 1, 2008

Parade of Sail

We finally won!  The boat that I once worked on, and now crew on for the Mayor's Cup race in Gloucester finally won after 12 years of trying!!!!

It was an absolutely amazing day on the water.  It was sunny and windy as hell.  In fact it was a bit TOO windy.  We had to dump half of our sail area so we wouldn't break our masts.  And it's a good thing we did, because as we were passing one of our competitors prior to the race their top mast (smaller section of mast about 60 feet above the deck) snapped and came crashing down.  A crew member near the rail missed having his head crushed, and in all likelihood being dead, by about 2 feet.  It was pretty intense.   I've attached a few pictures of the race below.  I can't take credit for them all.  One is a photo that appeared in an article in my home town newspaper, and one was taken by my cousin's new wife because I was busy pulling on ropes....

So needless to say after the race, and prior to the awards ceremony we...ummm...celebrated.  As any pirates would celebrate we celebrated with obscene amounts of beer and rum.  So we went to the coast guard station where the ceremony was.  We were needless to say the rowdiest of crews.  Our captain was awarded the cup.  He promptly gave it to us, and we promptly filled it with rum and passed it around.  I didn't have my camera at this point, which is probably a good thing since I at some pointed ended up wearing said cup as a hat.

At the ceremony I saw a friend of a girl that I had hooked up with for a few months the last time I was single.(A whole other story for a whole other time)  She told me that her friend (the one I had a thing with for a while) was now engaged.  Joy.  Another one bites the dust I guess....I got her number and told her I'd give her a call once we all figured out where we were going to end up for the night.

We retired back to the boat and continued to celebrate and accept congratulations from our competitors.  I called the friend and she came to the boat for a few drinks and we moved on to the bar, where we continued to drink and be the most ungracious possible winners.  Give us a break.  It's been over a decade.  Hell when I started racing in this race I was 15.  So yeah, big monkey off our backs.

I'm pretty sure the friend who's number I got was and has been interested in me for a while.  She's nice enough, but really not my type.  She's a boat person, and contrary to what you may assume from above, I really am not.  Which isn't to say I don't like boats.  I love them.  But she is making a career out of it, and I decided long ago that was a life that I didn't want.

We closed the bar, and went home.  I woke up this morning more than a bit hung over.  Played 18 with my cousin and a nice older couple who were really cool.  Had dinner with my mom, dad, aunt and her boyfriend for her birthday, and now here I am.  I turned down tickets to the Red Sox game tonight because of dinner with my aunt, which I totally could have blown off, and because I really need to not get wasted, and it would be nice if I could get a decent nights sleep too....

E and I are planning to meet up on Thursday.  I have to think of something to do with her.  Just going to dinner is all well and good, but I need to think of something to do after.  Any ideas would be appreciated.  At this point I've fucked so many of these things up I guess I really don't have any expectations.

Till next time, thanks for reading.

(P.S. Average girl has decided that she wants to bash me some more and not accept my explanation for why I didn't address her comment.  Quite frankly, I'm done trying to make her happy.  Clearly it won't make any difference regardless.  I hope you all don't feel the way she does.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh for cripes sake. You didn't do anything wrong with the blog. Don't sweat it kid.

Dude, I totally want to learn to sail. They offer classes here, but looks like I will have to wait until next season. Looks amazing.

Dinner is good, but you're right, you need an original idea. Is she from the area originally? If not, you can do something that shows her a bit of Boston. I would say no movies as you can't talk at all, but you've probably thought of that. I'll chew on it and post a bit later. Good luck!