WELCOME TO MY HEAD

Here it is....for the world to see....
Please read, and tell your friends...
AND FOR THE LOVE OF GOD COMMENT!!!!

Quote of the....well....however long it takes for me to get a new one.

"You don't miss your water
Till your well runs dry."
-The Black Crowes

Thursday, September 4, 2008

Every Intern's Dream...

So, I kind of promised a story, which seems to have gotten some interest (princessB cough) so I guess here it goes.  It's a good one, though rather long.

My 4th year of college I worked for an engineering company based in Cambridge as a co-op.  So for 6 months I worked here, pretty closely with this girl we'll call the boss (though she was only 3 years old than me.)  From the first day there I thought she was beautiful.  About 5'5, blonde, beautiful blue eyes and a great figure.  At the time I was not single.  I was with the girlfriend that I lived with (2 exes ago who still can't talk to me even though we were in the same wedding.)  She had a boyfriend too, not that anything would have happened.

So we worked together without incident, though I have to say there was more than a tiny amount of unspoken tension when we'd go out for post work drinks.  When my co-op ended I wend back to school.  During this semester I broke up with my girlfriend of 6 plus years.  I got my next co-op job with a company that worked rather closely with the one in Cambridge on a number of projects so I got to see the boss every once in a while in a professional setting.

One Friday she asks me to come to central square to join her and my former co-workers for drinks.  I say what the hell, I've got nothing else really going on and go join them.  We hang, have drinks, shoot the shit for a while, and after everyone leaves it ends up being just her and I.  She says "I'm going to Kenmore square to meet up with some friends if you want to come."  At the time I lived a block from Fenway Park, and would have been going home alone to the apartment my ex and I had formerly shared, so I said sure, what the hell.  We met up with her friends, 7 girls and 1 scottish guy, and hung out and drank.  I shot the shit with the scottish guy (random side note:  I wish I had a scottish accent.  Honestly, if I had a choice of accents, that would be it.)  Throughout the time we're hanging at the bar, I'm sitting on a stool, and the boss is standing by the bar table we're at.  She gets closer and closer.  At one point she's between my legs, and I'm thinking "no way."  Ten minutes later she's on my lap.

Mind you, she still had a boyfriend at this time, so I had zero thoughts of anything happening between us.  At the end of the night she gets into a cab back to the north end where her apartment was, and I walk home to pass out.  Half way home I get a text from her that says "It's a good thing you're not in the north end right now."  I reply "why is that?"  Her response "Because I could get into a lot of trouble."

Now, I'm not proud of what happened next.  In fact I kind of despised myself for it for quite some time.  I responded "Well, I could be in the north end if you wanted me to."  Again, I hate the guy that sleeps with another guy's girlfriend.  In fact, I still really don't like that I did that at all.  But I will try to justify it with the fact that we were both shitfaced.

At any rate, she says "Yes.  Come to the north end."

I hopped in a cab on Lansdowne street and met her at her apartment.

We didn't have sex that night.  We laid in her bed talking.  Kissing.  A little heavy petting I guess you would call it, but she was pretty adamant about no actual sex going on, which I was fine with.  She fell asleep in my arms as I ran my hands through her hair and thought about how random the situation I was in was.

The next morning she woke up and said "I thought for sure I was going to wake up this morning and regret this, but I don't at all.  That's why I didn't want to have sex with you."

I said "Honestly, I do kind of regret it.  You have a boyfriend, what the hell are we doing?"

"No," she said, "We're through.  I just needed a reason, and now I've got you."

"I can't be your reason for this ending.  I would never forgive myself."

"Don't worry.  It's not only you.  This has needed to happen for a long time."  And she kissed me, and we made love for 2 hours that morning.  Honestly, some of the most amazing sex I ever had.

After that we had an interesting relationship.  It basically consisted of us going out with our respective friends and meeting up at the end of the night for amazing sex.  This went on for about 6 months.  The semi odd part of it was that she wanted me to keep the situation relatively quiet, as I was still an intern with another company, and we worked together professionally.  I had no problem with that.  Hell, I was 22, sleeping with a stunning 25 year old, and still had all the freedom in the world to do whatever I wanted.

After a little over 6 months of this she sent me the email "I don't think we can do this anymore.  I think you're great, but the whole hooking up at night thing just isn't working for me.  It has been great while it's lasted."

I will be completely honest, I was a bit crushed.  It was hard for me, because I guess I knew what we had, but I always wanted it to turn into more.

A few months later she called and asked if I wanted to hang out.  By this time I had started dating my most recent ex.  We weren't really serious yet, but I thought she was talking about the same type of relationship we'd had before and I didn't want to give up something that could be more than that.

Well, apparently I was wrong.  About a year into dating my most recent ex I get an email from her, semi out of the blue, though we talk from time to time.  She asked what was new, I told her about my new long term thing.  She said she had found herself in a long term thing (with the guy she's now engaged to) as well.  Then she wrote "I kind of always regretted that there was never more between us.  I really wanted to date you and see where it went."

?!!?!?!?!?!!!!!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Talk about your all time miscommunications!!!!!!  Jesus Christ!  If I knew this girl wanted a relationship I would have dropped my most recent ex like a bad habit!!!!

And now here we are, 2 or so years later, and she's engaged, and I'm playing the singles game.....

I try hard not to think about what could have been, but it's tough.  I want to be truly happy for her now that she's found the person she's gonna marry, but again, it's tough.

So there's the story.  Shakespearean almost isn't it?  I guess all I can do is feel lucky for what I had when I had it, and try to move on.

Hope it didn't disappoint.

BTW, E and I are going out in about an hour.  Dinner in Kenmore Sq, and then who knows.  I'm 100% improvising after that.

Wish me luck.

Till next time, thanks for reading, and thanks for commenting.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Now you must write how it went with E!

Ah, the poor communication/bad timing story. Been there, done that. It does totally suck when you want more and someone cuts it off, then comes back and reveals that they in fact wanted what you wanted (that was a long sentence). Anyway, it seems that women are famous for this behavior.

We all have "the one that got away" if we've been dating for long enough. But it still sucks.