WELCOME TO MY HEAD

Here it is....for the world to see....
Please read, and tell your friends...
AND FOR THE LOVE OF GOD COMMENT!!!!

Quote of the....well....however long it takes for me to get a new one.

"You don't miss your water
Till your well runs dry."
-The Black Crowes

Wednesday, May 7, 2008

"That Guy"


So right now I'm sitting in Starbucks.  Yes, I am "That Guy" who sits in Starbucks typing on his Mac laptop with a coffee...I've never actually done this before and I thought I should try it out. 

Here are some thoughts I've been having:
-  This table is TINY
-  I really don't like that cup of coffee being so damn close to my computer.
-  That girl over there is really cute, but I couldn't possibly talk to her now because it would be on totally false pretenses.  I'm really not the guy who sits in Starbucks blogging, and that is totally the impression that I give.
-  Is the person behind me reading what I'm typing right now?

Here's a question: Is Starbucks an acceptable place to try to meet girls?  I've never really thought about it all that much, but now that I am, it seems this would be better than a bar.  At least at Starbucks the girl/guy you meet today will look the same tomorrow (i.e. no beer goggles), and there is the possibility that they're not the kind of person who spends all night in bars, which to me seems like a pretty good thing.

I mean, honestly, does anyone else feel a little skeeved about meeting people in bars?  Don't get me wrong, I've done it before, and will more than likely do it again, but why is it that people automatically think "I'm single, I need to go to a bar to meet someone."  Honestly.  How many people do you know that are in a stable long relationship started it in a bar room?  I personally suffer from a lack of creativity...like, where the hell else am I gonna go?  I'm not in school anymore, so thats out.  I'm definitely not about to date anyone I work with, so thats out.  The T maybe??  But what is the move there?  You see a girl you think is beautiful and then what?  You try to talk to her on a crowded train while she's on her way to/from 8 hours at the office?  Probably not the PRIMO time to be trying to get to know someone, and if you get shot down, you get shot down in front of like 50 of your closest friends.  Not closest because you know them, closest because they are all literally standing in a 15 square foot area.  That would be pleasant.

I am the first to admit, I have little or no "game" as the kids say, but I would like to think I could carry on a decent conversation with pretty much anyone.  The problem is the starter.  How do you start a conversation with a complete stranger without seeming like a sleaze ball or a lunatic.  If you have some insight, fill me in otherwise when I figure it out I will let you all know.

2 comments:

Susie said...

I think about this a lot. I go to Peet's to do work all the time and I sometimes think it would be better to meet a guy there than in a bar. But then I get annoyed when guys there try to talk to me, though I think it's because they're not cute and if they were cute I wouldn't mind them talking to me. You also need to start the convo in a non-awkward way.

I hate meeting people at bars, though my parents did meet at a bar long ago and are happily married. And yes, it's totally hard to meet new people once you're done with college. My friends and I are constantly complaining about this!

Julie said...

Maybe you should start smoking? I'm giggling as I write that. In all honesty though, I've met so many people, friends, lovers, etc. through this disgusting habit. But I have to admit, I wouldn't trade in the cigarettes (or the last 10 years of my life) for the friendships that came out of them.

Though I do think you should stop a pretty girl on the street on your lunch break and say "Hey, I'm new in town, want to have lunch? You can fill me in on Boston?" Someone did that to me once and at that moment I wished I didn't have a boyfriend. The balls that it takes to do that says a lot. If she says no, you'll never see her again. If she says yes, when you tell her the truth she'll think you're cute. Try it tomorrow.

Thanks for your comment by the way... it really meant a lot. I hope things (don't) work out either. The future is full of surprises!