WELCOME TO MY HEAD

Here it is....for the world to see....
Please read, and tell your friends...
AND FOR THE LOVE OF GOD COMMENT!!!!

Quote of the....well....however long it takes for me to get a new one.

"You don't miss your water
Till your well runs dry."
-The Black Crowes

Thursday, May 29, 2008

A Question of Ethics

This came up the other day when speaking with a fellow blogger about the Boston Bloggers Party that Susie, et al. are arranging for the middle of next month.  People suggested I should go, and it does sound interesting, but what do I tell people I'm doing?  Now, I blog, and no one close to me really knows about it (which seems a bit unhealthy to me, but that is for another post).  My reasoning for this is that I don't want to censor myself.  I write about my life and the people in it, and I don't want to hurt or offend anyone, and I also don't want to have to hold back.  It's not like I lie to people.  I mean if someone straight out asked me "Do you have a blog?" I would say yes.  But it isn't information that I'm offering to my friends (except 1, but she lives 3000 miles away.  HEY BECK!  Another girl friend.  What is my deal?).

So the point is, if I do decide to go to this little shin dig, what do I tell people I'm doing?  I don't like lying to people, but on the same note, I'd feel a little weird being like, "Oh, I'm going to meet up with some people I don't really know that I've spoken to online a few times."  No offense to anyone.  I'm sure you're all wonderful people, but to me it seems like there is this stigma attached to "online friends."  

I still haven't even decided if I'm going yet.  Not because of all of this, but because I have no idea what I'm doing that weekend.  I do know that it is father's day, so I will be having to make a trip to see dad at some point during the weekend.

At any rate, I guess the "Question of Ethics" that this all started off with has to do with whether my fellow bloggers (yes, you) are in similar situations.  Do your friends know you blog?  If so, does it make you feel like you need to censor yourself or not talk about certain things?  I'm fairly certain that would be the case for me, and honestly, I think this blog would lose a lot of its character (not that it has a lot to begin with) if I were just talking about the P.C. stuff and not dishing on my true feelings about every situation.

Let me know how you all feel.  I'd put up a poll or whatever, but I'm not terribly HTML savvy, so comments would be GREATLY appreciated.

6 comments:

Julie said...

I'm an open person in general so when I first started my blog I knew that my girls wouldn't ever be shocked by anything I wrote. I refuse to give it to any guy that I know, even if they know I'm a blogger (only because I've kissed most of the guys I know). So about the party... I'll probably tell people that I'm going to a "blogging thing" if they ask and then go from there.

I do filter a few things out of the blog, but only because it might make me look insane, but other than that? I just write about whatever I'm feeling. Hopefully you'll come, but we'll all understand if you choose not to.

I'm just on a small mission to keep saying "yes" to things I wouldnt have normally done a year ago.

megabrooke said...

well you and i talked about this a bit already. but i would end up just saying im going to a blogging thing. most all of my friends know that i have a blog. i dont tell the guys that i date, at least not right off the bat. i try to keep some stuff off the blog, stuff that is private and personal to my friends or those im seeing at the time. other than that, i use the space how i want to, and most of my friends know about it and respect it as that.

but i can understand that you want to keep it from some people. i dont think youd need to lie to anyone if you went to the bloggy meetup. just say you're meeting with some friends.

and ps- i just realized i cant make this one! so, ill try and whip up another one in a couple months if you cant make this one!

Anonymous said...

well, i've been pretty anonymous in my blog, so when this came up i asked the same questions. but, i figure i can tell my friends i'm going out with some fabulous new boston people i (will soon) met (meet).
but, sadly, i can't make this one because of a wedding. boooo.

Julie Q said...

my friends think i'm a huge nerd b/c i have a blog, but then again i write more about stupid things like reality tv and celebrity pets, so i guess i dont censor myself.

as for the party.. yes, i do agree there's a cliche about "meeting people online" which the bloggah hh is the first time i'll be doing that. i guess its just a fun way to change it up a bit.. instead of the same old 'party with the same people EVERY weekend routine' that i've come to know and love.

but if your friends make fun of you for saying you're going to hang out with about 10+ girls (according to the evite) then i'd re-evaulate why they are your friends LOL jk..

GM said...

Not all of my friends know I blog. and yes if they did I would censor myself. and because of the ones that do know, I don't write certain things but thats okay with me.

what to tell people? thats tough. don't know what to tell you there.

Anonymous said...

No one in my family knows, hubby, mom, no one. Now my boss, yes, and he thinks it's cool, but does not know my blog name.

Also. just an FYI-----I have another blog where I portray myself as a 40 something man. You would be suprised by the amount of people that will believe what you say b/c you are a "man". If they only knew..hahahahahha

Average Girl is me, honestly and all I write is honest there.